What does Blind Receiving mean?
Blind receiving is when a warehouse receives a shipment of goods that arrives without any purchase order or invoice, meaning all the information relative to the receipt must be entered manually or via barcode scan.
Blind Receiving is a receiving process where no reference information such as advance ship notice or purchase order is used to process the receipt - which means blind receipt.
Blind receiving forces the receivers to manually validate the details through inspection of goods when no reference documents come with delivery.
Major challenges in Blind Receiving:
- Lack of complete inbound visibility
- Risk of errors due to manual entry of consignment data
- Risk of overstocking and reduced space availability
- Risk of process chokepoints in both inbound and outbound
- Increased Dock-to-Stock time due to a lack of preparedness